YouTuber Conor McGilligan has slammed Leeds United for not knowing beforehand that Andoni Iraola was unwilling to join at this stage of the season.
What’s the latest on Andoni Iraola to Leeds?
As per The Guardian, the Rayo Vallecano manager is not prepared to abandon his current club midway through their campaign and so any possible move to the Premier League will have to wait until the summer.
As a result, the wait to appoint a successor to Jesse Marsch is set to continue with Michael Skubala will carry on as the Whites’ interim manager for their “upcoming fixtures”.
Seeing as a number of managers seem to have turned down approaches by Leeds, it doesn’t reflect well on the club and McGilligan seems to think it points to a lack of “preplanning”.
While speaking on the One Leeds Fan Channel, he said: “You don’t really want a manager who’s out of work and I hear the argument of Iraola. I hear the argument of Leeds had a target straight away in him. I understand that.
“But why has there been so many complications? Why are we facing these obstacles and problems when it comes to Rayo Vallecano? Why did Leeds not know that?
What does the Iraola situation mean for Leeds?
McGilligan also name-checks Gallardo. The former River Plate boss is a free agent but only wants to take charge of a new club at the end of this season.
With Iraola also not keen to join at this stage, it certainly does beg the question as to why Leeds didn’t know this would be the case for two of their primary targets before making approaches to land them.
Marsch’s time with the club had been on a downward trajectory for some time and so it was not a shock when he was fired, leaving the club in a relegation battle.
With that in mind, the Leeds hierarchy should have had a number of candidates in mind to take over but it seems as though their shortlist was full of unrealistic names such as Iraola and Gallardo who were never going to join at this moment in time.
As a result, they will now have to hope Skubala can help steady the ship even though he’s inexperienced and has never managed a team at such a high level before.
- Man United's £13m-rated "Monster" Could Replace CasemiroOn-loan midfielder Marcel Sabitzer could ease Casemiro blow
- Tottenham Players Excited By "Brilliant" ManagerTottenham players "would love" the club to appoint Mauricio Pochettino to replace Antonio Conte.
- Tottenham Dealt Blow In Pursuit Of "Fantastic" CoachTottenham Hotspur have missed out on Thomas Tuchel, one of the managers on their shortlist.
- Canada comfortably shut out Curacao with a 2-0 victory in the CONCACAF Nations LeagueCanada glide past Curacao with a 2-0 victory in the CONCACAF Nations League
- Republic of Ireland 0-1 France: Player ratings as Pavard screamer beats IrishPlayer ratings from the Republic of Ireland's Euro 2024 qualifier against France on Monday night.
- The 10 stadiums in Germany hosting Euro 2024The lowdown on the ten stadiums in Germany that are hosting games at Euro 2024.