Journalist Fabrizio Romano has revealed that Manchester United transfer target Goncalo Ramos has a €120m (£106m) release clause as interest heats up.
What’s the latest on the Goncalo Ramos and the Man Utd links?
It seems as though the Red Devils will target a new striker when the summer transfer market opens. Indeed, the club have even been urged to bring in the likes of Harry Kane or Victor Osimhen by club legend Rio Ferdinand.
Those two certainly are some big names, with established reputations but if the club want to sign some a little younger, they may well prefer to chase 21-year-old Benfica star Ramos.
His name was mentioned by Romano recently when talking on his YouTube channel but the journalist warned that he might not come cheap due to the release clause in his contract.
He explained: “They are following Goncalo Ramos from Benfica. Many clubs appreciate this player. He did well, especially with the hat-trick in the World Cup with Portugal – and Paris Saint-Germain, for example, are really appreciating the player; he is one of the players they’re following. They also wanted the player last summer.
“But Man United have sent their scouts also for Goncalo Ramos, he’s a player they are tracking. Of course, Osimhen, Goncalo Ramos, they want a new central striker in the summer and they are keeping an eye on many players.
“For Ramos, they sent their scouts to Portuguese league games to monitor the player. And also it’s important to mention that there is a release clause into the contract of Goncalo Ramos with Benfica, it’s €120m, so it’s one to watch for sure.”
What does the Ramos release clause mean for Man Utd?
As Romano mentions, Ramos announced himself to the football world this winter when he scored three goals against Switzerland as Portugal progressed past the last-16 stage of the World Cup.
Ironically, he came into the starting XI to replace Cristiano Ronaldo for that game, and if he was to join Man Utd this summer he would also be viewed as a long-term replacement for his international teammate, after the 37-year-old left the Premier League club shortly before the 2022 World Cup.
Beyond his exploits with Portugal, though, he has also impressed with Benfica this season, scoring 19 goals and claiming eight assists in 31 games across all competitions.
He’s certainly a top talent, but it remains to be seen if the Red Devils feel his worth such a high price tag.
- Leeds Defender Out Against ArsenalLeeds United have been handed another injury blow before the trip to Arsenal.
- Liverpool Must Unleash £140k-p/w Dynamo vs Man CityJurgen Klopp must unleash Liverpool's Darwin Nunez against Manchester City
- Arsenal Can Cash In On £110k-p/w "Warrior"Arsenal could look to cash in on Kieran Tierney's rising value.
- FPL Gameweek 29: Top captain picksThe top Fantasy Premier League captaincy picks for Double Gameweek 29, including Marcus Rashford and Bruno Fernandes.
- FPL Gameweek 29: The best differentials to target for upcoming DGWThe best differentials in Fantasy Premier League for FPL Double Gameweek 29, including Alexander Isak and Andy Robertson.
- Barcelona confirm contact with Lionel Messi over summer transferBarcelona vice-president Rafa Yuste confirms the club are in contact with Lionel Messi over a return.