Glasgow Rangers manager Michael Beale enjoyed a relatively quiet first transfer window in charge, since taking over from Giovanni van Bronckhorst earlier this season, of the Ibrox giants last month.
Ross Wilson and the Englishman worked together to bring in two new signings in the form of Todd Cantwell and Nicolas Raskin on permanent deals, from Norwich and Standard Liege respectively.
The former Liverpool youth coach also sanctioned an exit for young midfielder Charlie McCann as the Northern Ireland international completed a move to Forest Green Rovers in January.
Beale may already be thinking about what he would like to do to the squad ahead of the 2023/24 campaign and working out which players need to be moved on and replaced should be the first step of the process.
A number of current first-team players are out of contract at the end of the season and one dud who must be ruthlessly ditched from the club is veteran midfielder Steven Davis.
What is Steven Davis’ situation at Rangers?
His deal expires in the summer and it could be the perfect time to part ways with the ex-Southampton midfielder as the dynamo recovers from a serious knee injury.
The 38-year-old suffered a cruciate ligament rupture in his knee in December and has been ruled out for the remainder of the campaign, which means that he may not play another competitive match for the Gers.
Davis has only started 16 Premiership matches since the start of last term and the arrival of Raskin as an option in the middle of the park could allow Beale to part ways with the veteran without worrying about the depth of his squad.
The Northern Ireland international has been a fine servant to the Light Blues over the years – amassing 360 appearances in all competitions – but his form in the Champions League earlier this season indicated that the time is right for him to be replaced.
In five appearances in Europe, the dud averaged a Sofascore rating of 6.58 – compared to his 6.90 in the Premiership – and Scottish Daily Mail editor Calum McClurkin criticised the midfielder during the team’s 3-1 defeat to Ajax in November, Tweeting:
“Steven Davis towing a caravan in midfield. Just too over the hill at this level. Patched-up defence simply can’t cope.”
The £8k-per-week maestro is in the final throes of his career and his form in the Champions League, coupled with his injury and the additions of Raskin and Cantwell in midfield, could open the door for Beale to ruthlessly ditch the experienced talent in the summer.
- Leeds Defender Out Against ArsenalLeeds United have been handed another injury blow before the trip to Arsenal.
- Liverpool Must Unleash £140k-p/w Dynamo vs Man CityJurgen Klopp must unleash Liverpool's Darwin Nunez against Manchester City
- Arsenal Can Cash In On £110k-p/w "Warrior"Arsenal could look to cash in on Kieran Tierney's rising value.
- FPL Gameweek 29: Top captain picksThe top Fantasy Premier League captaincy picks for Double Gameweek 29, including Marcus Rashford and Bruno Fernandes.
- FPL Gameweek 29: The best differentials to target for upcoming DGWThe best differentials in Fantasy Premier League for FPL Double Gameweek 29, including Alexander Isak and Andy Robertson.
- Barcelona confirm contact with Lionel Messi over summer transferBarcelona vice-president Rafa Yuste confirms the club are in contact with Lionel Messi over a return.