Liverpool host their local rivals on Monday night when they meet Everton in the Premier League for the 242nd Merseyside derby at Anfield, and a new injury update has emerged which will come as a huge blow for Jurgen Klopp ahead of that clash.
What’s the latest Liverpool injury news?
According to The Times’ northern football correspondent Paul Joyce, Thiago Alcantara is struggling with a hip injury, which could make him a doubt to feature.
Joyce revealed via Twitter on Friday: “Thiago Alcantara struggling with a hip injury for Liverpool ahead of Merseyside derby.”
Klopp surely frustrated
The latest blow to the Liverpool squad will be massively frustrating for Klopp, as his side has been plagued with injuries to key players throughout the campaign, which has ultimately contributed to their poor performances and inconsistency so far.
The Reds are currently tenth in the Premier League table after 20 games, with only one victory in in their last five top-flight games (against Leicester in late December), a run of form which has left them 11 points adrift of a Champions League qualifying place inside the top four.
In terms of injuries, Luis Diaz, Arthur Melo, Roberto Firmino and Virgil van Dijk all remain unavailable for the clash against Everton on Monday, alongside the news of the concern surrounding Thiago’s fitness.
The German detailed in his pre-match press conference: “Thiago has some problems. I know the problems, but I have to ask the medical department what I am allowed to say about it. The hip flexor, stuff like this, that’s it pretty much. He wasn’t able to train.”
There is a silver lining for the Liverpool boss as Fabinho and Diogo Jota are in line for a return to action, with the latter expected to undergo a late fitness test following his return to team training after recovering from a long-term injury.
Due to the nature of the injury to Thiago, who has endured multiple knocks during his two-and-a-half years at Anfield, it wouldn’t be a bad idea for the Spaniard to be rested in the Merseyside derby. Klopp could deploy Jordan Henderson in the middle of the park instead, as the daunting Champions League clash against Real Madrid in ten days’ time looms ever larger.
The Liverpool boss will be feeling the pressure for his team to perform when Sean Dyche’s side visit on Monday, as another defeat could leave them in the bottom half of the table depending on Aston Villa‘s result against Manchester City on Sunday.
- Tottenham: "World Class" Manager In Pole Position For JobTottenham Hotspur manager target Mauricio Pochettino is in 'pole position' for the Spurs job alongside Julian Nagelsmann, according to reports.
- Liverpool Confident Of Securing Deal For £88m DefenderThe Reds are optimistic that they will be able to land Benfica defender Antonio Silva this summer.
- Leeds Eyeing £53m "Machine" As True Phillips HeirLeeds United are interested in signing Sporting Lisbon midfielder Manuel Ugarte and the Uruguay international could be a true heir to Kalvin Phillips.
- Chelsea 1-2 Lyon (4-3 on penalties)(Agg. 2-2): Player ratings as late penalty drama sends Blues throughPlayer ratings from the Women's Champions League quarter-final second leg between Chelsea & Lyon - 30 March 2023.
- Man Utd confident of agreeing new David de Gea contractDavid de Gea drops hint over preference for Man Utd future as contract talks continue.
- Wolfsburg 1-1 PSG (Agg. 2-1): Player ratings as She-Wolves reach UWCL last four againPlayer ratings from the UWCL quarter-final second leg between Wolfsburg and PSG.