A claim has emerged on Newcastle United and their interest in central midfielder Scott McTominay ahead of the summer transfer window…
What’s the latest on Scott McTominay to Newcastle?
Speaking to TEAMtalk, journalist Ben Jacobs has revealed that the Scotland international could be on his way out of Manchester United at the end of the season.
The reporter has named the Magpies as one of the teams to keep an eye on as a potential destination for the Old Trafford academy graduate in the summer.
Jacobs said: “The first thing is to stress though is that outgoings are going to be very important. And Scott McTominay is one name that could depart. Ten Hag is quite glad that he’s there and he made it quite clear he didn’t want to entertain any January offers.
“But come the summer, because Casemiro has come in, McTominay will be available on the market. Newcastle, in particular, are one to watch there.”
Is McTominay Bruno Guimaraes’ perfect partner?
Dan Ashworth and Eddie Howe could provide current Newcastle midfielder Bruno Guimaraes with a dream partner in the middle of the park by securing a deal for the Manchester United gem this summer.
The Brazil international has been in fine form for the Magpies in the Premier League this season. He has averaged a Sofascore rating of 7.14 across 17 appearances in the division and showcased his ability on the ball by making 1.1 key passes per game and chipping in with three goals and three assists.
This comes after the former Lyon man scored five times and created three ‘big chances’ in 11 starts for the club in the 2021/22 campaign following his move in January of last year.
McTominay has the defensive quality to sit at the base of the midfield and provide the defence with enough protection to allow players like Guimaraes, along with Joe Willock and Joelinton, to thrive in possession and in pushing on to press high up the pitch.
This was once explained by his ex-teammate Jesse Lingard, who said: “When it was his time to shine, he rose to the occasion & he’s been a real rock for us in midfield. I feel secure – we all feel secure as a team – when we’re pressing because you know you’ve got Scott behind”
The £60k-per-week gem, who was once hailed as a “physical monster” by former boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, started 28 Premier League matches for Manchester United last season and averaged 3.2 tackles and interceptions per match, whilst also winning 67% of his aerial duels.
He ranks in the top 7% of players in his position for clearances and aerial battles won per 90 in Europe’s top five leagues over the last 365 days, something that shows the midfield titan is excellent in the air and at positioning himself defensively to cut out opposition crosses.
Now, imagine McTominay anchoring the midfield, with his superb defensive play on the deck and aerially, with Bruno showcasing his qualities on the ball to punish teams at the other end. It would be a dream.
- Tottenham: "World Class" Manager In Pole Position For JobTottenham Hotspur manager target Mauricio Pochettino is in 'pole position' for the Spurs job alongside Julian Nagelsmann, according to reports.
- Liverpool Confident Of Securing Deal For £88m DefenderThe Reds are optimistic that they will be able to land Benfica defender Antonio Silva this summer.
- Leeds Eyeing £53m "Machine" As True Phillips HeirLeeds United are interested in signing Sporting Lisbon midfielder Manuel Ugarte and the Uruguay international could be a true heir to Kalvin Phillips.
- Chelsea 1-2 Lyon (4-3 on penalties)(Agg. 2-2): Player ratings as late penalty drama sends Blues throughPlayer ratings from the Women's Champions League quarter-final second leg between Chelsea & Lyon - 30 March 2023.
- Man Utd confident of agreeing new David de Gea contractDavid de Gea drops hint over preference for Man Utd future as contract talks continue.
- Wolfsburg 1-1 PSG (Agg. 2-1): Player ratings as She-Wolves reach UWCL last four againPlayer ratings from the UWCL quarter-final second leg between Wolfsburg and PSG.