Manchester United have reportedly submitted a bid for Real Madrid star Federico Valverde as Erik ten Hag plans for next season.
What’s the latest on Valverde to Man United?
According to reports in Spain, United have submitted an offer in the region of €65m (£58m) in order to prise the versatile midfielder away from La Liga, although it is unlikely this figure will be high enough.
Last summer, Liverpool wanted the Madrid player and a fee of €100m (£88m) was put on the table, however, no move materialised as he was seen as a key part of Carlo Ancelotti’s side.
His performances since the World Cup have dipped however and Ten Hag may see this as a chance to secure him for an acceptable transfer fee as he plans ahead for 2023/2024.
Can Ten Hag sign Valverde for Man United?
Before the World Cup, Valverde was in superb form, scoring eight goals and registering four assists across La Liga and the Champions League as he became an integral part of the Madrid side.
Since the season resumed following the hiatus however, he has scored just once, in the Club World Cup tie against El Ahly and Madrid’s performances have dipped, with the champions lying eight points behind a resurgent Barcelona in the table.
If Ten Hag could lure the Uruguayan to Old Trafford, it would be an excellent coup, especially with the midfielder statistically similar to one of the Premier League’s all-time finest players – David Silva.
The former Manchester City sensation is now playing for Real Sociedad as he approaches the final stages of his career, but his decade-long association with City will be steeped in legend.
The Spaniard won every domestic honour in England and scored 77 goals while registering a staggering 140 assists as he occupied either a central or attacking midfield role.
According to FBref, Silva is the sixth-most comparable player to Valverde, and considering his stature in the game and the fact he has won on both the international and club stage, it isn’t a bad comparison to have.
Indeed, this season has seen the two register similar statistics with regard to assists (both two), pass completion success rate (87.9% to 83.5%), goal-creating actions (both ten), tackles won (both 11), and crosses (15 to 14), also via FBref.
These stats clearly suggest both are extremely effective attacking threats from either a central midfield berth or occupying a more advanced role and according to WhoScored, both Silva and Valverde have similar styles of play with the fact that they play a lot of short passes and like to do layoffs.
The 24-year-old was dubbed “unbelievable” by ex-Premier League star Joe Cole earlier this season following his blistering run of form so if the Dutchman could land the Madrid dynamo this summer, it would give United another significant boost as they look to end their barren run without a league title.
- Declan Rice Lauds 'Warrior' £35k-p/w West Ham TeammateWest Ham United and England ace Declan Rice calls Vladimir Coufal a "warrior" after Czechia's Instagram post about his son.
- Arsenal Eye Swoop For "Dangerous" £32.5m GemArsenal eyeing summer swoop for Ibrahim Sangare
- Man United Eye Move For "Dominant" £44m TitanMan United are reportedly looking to sign Axel Disasi this summer.
- Reece James withdraws from England squad due to 'ongoing issue'Reece James has left the England camp and returned to Chelsea due to ongoing concerns about his fitness.
- Bayern Munich reveal why they replaced Julian Nagelsmann with Thomas TuchelBayern Munich chiefs have explained their decision to part company with Julian Nagelsmann and replace him with Thomas Tuchel.
- Tottenham's stance on Julian Nagelsmann amid uncertain Antonio Conte futureJulian Nagelsmann has been tipped to take over from Antonio Conte at Tottenham following his sacking by Bayern Munich.