YouTuber Conor McGilligan has slammed the idea that Steven Gerrard could replace Jesse Marsch as Leeds United manager claiming they are too similar.
What’s the latest on Gerrard to Leeds?
With the Whites still on the lookout for an appointment, The Mirror reports that a number of rejections may have led them to the former Aston Villa boss.
Indeed, the story claims that Gerrard could be the man they turn to after attempts to bring in West Brom head coach Carlos Corberan, Rayo Vallecano’s Andoni Iraola and Feyenoord manager Arne Slot have all failed.
The Premier League side lost on the weekend to Manchester United and with the threat of relegation looming, they won’t want to delay much longer before appointing a permanent manager.
However, while speaking about it all on the One Leeds Fan Channel, McGilligan insisted that Gerrard would be no different to Marsch.
He explained: “Gerrard did well at Rangers, he did. He had decent backing, he did well at Rangers.
“Got given a bigger job when he came to Aston Villa, then the players didn’t know what they were doing. He’d come out, he’d publicly go at players, say that he wanted lots more from them here, there and everywhere.
“It’s a mirror of Marsch. It’s a mirror. I think Gerrard actually needs to step down to the Championship to build himself up again. How can he be handed a massive job like Leeds United after being sacked by Aston Villa? The expectations need to grow.”
What could appointing Gerrard mean for Leeds?
Marsch joined Leeds last February having built up his reputation as a coach outside of England. Similarly, Gerrard joined Villa having never managed at senior level in England, impressing at Rangers instead.
Marsch lasted just 37 games as boss with the Whites, averaging 1.16 points per game. Once more comparably, Gerrard oversaw just three more games (40) while with the Villans, picking up only 1.18 points per game.
With that in mind, it’s easy to see why the comparison has been made and why there would be plenty of doubts about just how much better Gerrard would be if given the job.
Still, with plenty of options rejecting Leeds already, options are dwindling and the former Liverpool man does at least have a connection with Elland Road favourite Gary McAllister – with the pair working together at Villa and Rangers.
And so perhaps this will be enough to tempt the Whites into making the appointment.
- Man United's £13m-rated "Monster" Could Replace CasemiroOn-loan midfielder Marcel Sabitzer could ease Casemiro blow
- Tottenham Players Excited By "Brilliant" ManagerTottenham players "would love" the club to appoint Mauricio Pochettino to replace Antonio Conte.
- Tottenham Dealt Blow In Pursuit Of "Fantastic" CoachTottenham Hotspur have missed out on Thomas Tuchel, one of the managers on their shortlist.
- Canada comfortably shut out Curacao with a 2-0 victory in the CONCACAF Nations LeagueCanada glide past Curacao with a 2-0 victory in the CONCACAF Nations League
- Republic of Ireland 0-1 France: Player ratings as Pavard screamer beats IrishPlayer ratings from the Republic of Ireland's Euro 2024 qualifier against France on Monday night.
- The 10 stadiums in Germany hosting Euro 2024The lowdown on the ten stadiums in Germany that are hosting games at Euro 2024.