Leeds United will find it difficult to keep ahold of their goalkeeper Illan Meslier with a number of clubs keeping tabs on the player including Manchester United.
How many years has Meslier got left on his contract?
The youngster still has over three years remaining on his deal with the Yorkshire club who find themselves struggling towards the bottom of the table.
In that sense, the Whites do sit in a strong position over Meslier’s future with the player having a lot of years remaining on his contract with the club.
However, given their struggles, it is no guarantee they will be playing Premier League football next season which could prove a huge issue in the Frenchman’s future.
And speaking to Football FanCast, journalist Pete O’Rourke has suggested the likes of Manchester United are keeping an eye on the goalkeeper’s situation at Elland Road:
“I’m sure Leeds won’t want to lose Meslier but they’ll find it pretty hard to keep them if they do suffer relegation as well.
“But yeah, he looks a top keeper, as I said, makes a lot of good saves as well. And I think he’s only gonna get better with age as well. So yeah, I’m sure Manchester United as well as several clubs are probably keeping tabs on him.”
Will Meslier leave Leeds?
The remainder of the 2022/23 campaign could prove crucial in regard to the future of the young Frenchman who will have big aspirations for his future.
Meslier will surely have his eyes on making progress in his national side following Hugo Lloris’ retirement from international football.
And whether he is able to do so at Leeds United could be a serious question that he has to ask himself over the coming months.
Didier Deschamps has other senior options to choose from, however, the 22-year-old will have hopes of breaking through the U21s and into the first team soon.
There have been reports in the past suggesting the likes of Tottenham Hotspur had identified Meslier as a potential option to replace Lloris in the long term.
So it does seem as if there are some big Premier League clubs who feel as if he is a goalkeeper who could provide them with a solid long-term option.
But when he is playing for a side who have conceded the fourth most goals in the Premier League and are facing relegation, the Frenchman may feel he has to go elsewhere to show his ability.
There are a number of big Premier League sides believed to be evaluating their goalkeeper situation ahead of the summer transfer window so it will be interesting to see whether Meslier could seek a move in the coming months.
- Spurs Make Contact Over 35 y/o Manager TargetAfter parting ways with Antonio Conte over the weekend, Tottenham Hotspur have made initial contact with Julian Nagelsmann's people.
- Insider Issues Worrying Behind-Scenes Everton ClaimEverton have been slapped with potentially having breached Financial Fair Play regulations which will prove catastrophic if the club are to go down.
- Liverpool Reignite Interest In £184k-p/w StarLiverpool have reignited their interest in Inter Milan midfielder Marcelo Brozovic.
- Scott McTominay reveals how he's added goals to his gameManchester United midfielder Scott McTominay promised to try to continue his goalscoring exploits with Scotland after nabbing a brace against Spain
- Kai Havertz opens up on 'pressure' of mega money move to ChelseaKai Havertz opens up on 'pressure' of mega money move to Chelsea.
- How much do National League players get paid?What is the average wage of players currently competing in the Vanarama National League, the fifth tier of English football?