Journalist Fabrizio Romano has revealed that contrary to reports, Jude Bellingham has not rejected Chelsea as the club are yet to make an official proposal.
What’s the word?
After all their spending in the January transfer window – with the likes of Enzo Fernandez, Mykhailo Mudryk, Joao Felix and many others arriving – no one quite knows what lies ahead in the summer.
Indeed, only a foolish football supporter would dismiss the possibility of the club going in big for Borussia Dortmund star Bellingham.
In fact, rumours have already started to emerge in the media. However, according to SPORT1 (via The Express) the Englishman has actually rejected an approach from Chelsea.
Despite that, while speaking on his own YouTube channel, Romano revealed that Bellingham hasn’t said no to the Blues as he hasn’t yet been asked the question.
He said: “I wanted to clarify one thing we had reports, a mix of reports on Jude Bellingham rejecting Chelsea.
“The reality is that Jude Bellingham has never said no to any Chelsea proposal. Chelsea never made any bid [or] official proposal to Jude Bellingham.
“But of course, they know that after signing Enzo Fernandez and being well covered in that position, the expectation is not for Chelsea to go for Jude Bellingham in the summer.”
In with a chance?
The original report also notes that the player has rejected PSG, while Liverpool are also heavily linked with the player and it’s safe to assume there will be a real tug-of-war for his signature this summer.
Considering Bellingham is still only 19 years of age but established himself as one of England’s most important players at the World Cup, it’s not hard to see why he’s so highly rated.
With that in mind, it’s likely he’ll be on Chelsea’s radar. But after the Blues spent a British-record transfer fee of £106.8m signing Fernandez from Benfica this winter, it remains unclear if they would splash the cash on another player who plays in midfield.
For now, at least, Bellingham hasn’t been ruled out as a possibility even if it seems unlikely.
- Liverpool Could Find New Harvey Elliott In £750-p/w TeenagerThe midfielder has been "excellent" at youth level
- Premier League Manager Now Favourite To Replace Conte At SpursBrentford boss Thomas Frank has emerged as the leading canidate to replace Antonio Conte
- Man United Could Ditch £250k-p/w Dud For Teen StarMan United could ditch Anthony Martial for Manni Norkett
- Euro 2024 qualifiers roundup: Ronaldo breaks record; Northern Ireland see off San MarinoRounding up Thursday's Euro 2024 qualifiers, including Italy 1-2 England and Portugal 4-0 Liechtenstein.
- Harry Kane reacts to breaking England's goalscoring recordHarry Kane reacts to breaking England's all-time male goalscoring record.
- Bayern Munich to part ways with manager Julian NagelsmannBayern Munich have decided to sack manager Julian Nagelsmann, with Thomas Tuchel expected to replace him.