Tottenham Hotspur right wing-back Emerson Royal has left TalkSport pundit Jamie O’Hara stunned by his recent turn of form in north London.
What’s happened to Emerson Royal?
The Brazilian’s time at Tottenham has certainly come with a lot of scrutiny from the Spurs fans who have voiced their frustrations towards the 24-year-old.
However, he has suddenly made a huge U-turn in form which has seen him become a regular in the starting XI despite the big-money signing of Pedro Porro in January.
And his upturn in form of late was summed up on Sunday when he provided the Lilywhites with the opening goal against West Ham United.
Speaking on TalkSport on Monday morning, O’Hara shared his disbelief at what he has seen from the Brazilian in recent weeks in the Spurs side:
“Emerson Royal, all of a sudden, looks like prime Cafu. I mean I don’t know what’s happened to him, but Pedro Porro’s come in and it’s obviously given him a kick up the backside that he needed because he was fantastic again yesterday, and sometimes players need that bit of competition.”
When will Pedro Porro play?
Over the January window, Spurs offloaded Djed Spence on loan and Matt Doherty permanently with right wing-back clearly a position for real improvement.
And it seemed as the Lilywhites had found the man to come in and provide that change with Porro who arrived from Sporting CP in a deal believed to be worth in the region of £44m.
However, since arriving, Porro has only played 75 minutes of football with three appearances on the bench whilst Emerson starts for the Londoners.
It is not exactly surprising Spurs fans were voicing their frustrations towards Emerson earlier in the season with the Brazilian not exactly showing much to suggest he was good enough to play at wing-back.
Prior to the game last month against Manchester City, the 24-year-old had only provided the Lilywhites with one assist for the season (via Transfermarkt).
Yet in his last four Premier League starts, the Brazilian has scored two goals against City and West Ham on Sunday.
Meanwhile, Porro’s debut was far from impressive with the Spanish wing-back slammed for his 75-minute display in the game against Leicester City.
However, we saw on Sunday against the Hammers that Spurs are rotating players with Ivan Perisic rested as Ben Davies played at left wing-back on Sunday.
Ad having spent so much money on Porro there will surely be an urge not to leave him on the bench for too long.
But when Emerson is showing such impressive form, it does leave Cristian Stellini with. tough decision to make at right wing-back.
- Leeds Defender Out Against ArsenalLeeds United have been handed another injury blow before the trip to Arsenal.
- Liverpool Must Unleash £140k-p/w Dynamo vs Man CityJurgen Klopp must unleash Liverpool's Darwin Nunez against Manchester City
- Arsenal Can Cash In On £110k-p/w "Warrior"Arsenal could look to cash in on Kieran Tierney's rising value.
- FPL Gameweek 29: Top captain picksThe top Fantasy Premier League captaincy picks for Double Gameweek 29, including Marcus Rashford and Bruno Fernandes.
- FPL Gameweek 29: The best differentials to target for upcoming DGWThe best differentials in Fantasy Premier League for FPL Double Gameweek 29, including Alexander Isak and Andy Robertson.
- Barcelona confirm contact with Lionel Messi over summer transferBarcelona vice-president Rafa Yuste confirms the club are in contact with Lionel Messi over a return.