YouTuber Conor McGilligan has claimed that Leeds United interim manager Michael Skubala should be given the full-time job until the end of the season.
What’s the latest on Skubala and Leeds?
With Jesse Marsch now sacked, the Whites haven’t had an easy time trying to find a replacement. Indeed, a number of approaches for targeted managers seem to have failed.
For instance, West Brom boss Carlos Corberan turned the club down, Rayo Vallecano’s Andoni Iraola won’t join at this moment, and Arne Slot is committed to Feyenoord.
Most recently, Former Ajax manager Alfred Schreuder has fallen out of the equation and so the club are running out of respectable candidates.
In the meantime, Skubala has taken charge as interim for two games, both against Manchester United, and McGilligan seems to think he’s the best option for the club right now.
While speaking about it all on the One Leeds Fan Channel, he said: “When I listen to Skubala in a press conference, I feel calm listening to him. He’s not overzealous, doesn’t say things that would get him into hot water. He’s just very sharp and concise and intelligent. And I like it. I really do like it.
“And you can tell on the pitch the players are working for him. And I just feel like he’d get the best out of this side with the options available at the minute. I don’t think we’ve got many options.
“Why not just stick with Skubala if there are no better options available?”
What does this mean for Leeds’ manager search?
As we’ve seen with the recently sacked Southampton manager Nathan Jones, your press conference manner certainly can impact how you are viewed in the media and by your own fans – with the Saints man mocked for some of his comments shortly before being fired.
Skubala, on the other hand, has been a steady presence in such moments. For example, LeedsLive described him as: “A cool, calm, likeable presence on the touchline and in front of the press”.
In that same article, it’s noted that he was done well with the Leeds Under-21s since taking over in the summer and even had them at the top of the Premier League 2 Division 2 table before injuries took their toll on the team.
However, it should not be forgotten that he had never managed a senior football team before, let alone one in the Premier League, and so it would be perhaps a risk if he was to be given the reins until the end of the season.
Still, if the players respect him and the club can’t find anyone better on their dwindling list of candidates, Skubala may not be the worst option.
- Man United's £13m-rated "Monster" Could Replace CasemiroOn-loan midfielder Marcel Sabitzer could ease Casemiro blow
- Tottenham Players Excited By "Brilliant" ManagerTottenham players "would love" the club to appoint Mauricio Pochettino to replace Antonio Conte.
- Tottenham Dealt Blow In Pursuit Of "Fantastic" CoachTottenham Hotspur have missed out on Thomas Tuchel, one of the managers on their shortlist.
- Canada comfortably shut out Curacao with a 2-0 victory in the CONCACAF Nations LeagueCanada glide past Curacao with a 2-0 victory in the CONCACAF Nations League
- Republic of Ireland 0-1 France: Player ratings as Pavard screamer beats IrishPlayer ratings from the Republic of Ireland's Euro 2024 qualifier against France on Monday night.
- The 10 stadiums in Germany hosting Euro 2024The lowdown on the ten stadiums in Germany that are hosting games at Euro 2024.