Journalist Fabrizio Romano has revealed that Chelsea could be in with a chance of signing Jeremie Frimpong this summer, but top-flight rivals are also keen on the defender.
What’s the latest on Jeremie Frimpong and the Chelsea rumours?
Even though the Blues agreed to pay £26.3m plus add-ons for Lyon right-back Malo Gusto in January, it seems as though the club may be in the market for another fullback in the near future.
To be fair, Reece James has struggled for fitness of late and Cesar Azpilicueta isn’t getting any younger at 33 years of age, so 22-year-old Frimpong may be viewed as a good long-term prospect.
However, it sounds as if the Bayer Leverkusen ace is a wanted man with Premier League rivals Manchester United also “keeping an eye on” the right-back.
That’s what has been reported by Romano recently anyway. Indeed, while speaking on his YouTube channel, he explained: “Jeremie Frimpong from Bayer Leverkusen. He’s doing very well.
“We know also Chelsea appreciate the player. In the summer, he could have the possibility to move, but Manchester United are keeping an eye on him.”
Will Jeremie Frimpong join Chelsea?
Despite his young age, Frimpong has already established himself as a regular both in Germany with Leverkusen and in Scotland with Celtic, having initially come through the Manchester City academy.
That experience will no doubt make the player an attractive prospect for both Chelsea and United, while he would also count as a homegrown player due to his ties with the English game as a youngster.
Seeing as Chelsea already have three players who can play right-back, it remains to be seen if Frimpong would feel as though he would have a pathway to regular first-team minutes under Graham Potter.
Still, the Blues evidently “appreciate” the player, so perhaps Todd Boehly has a plan to fit him into the Blues’ already bloated squad. It’ll certainly be interesting to see if a bidding war happens for the player this summer with Man Utd also in the mix.
- Sensational £20k-p/w Leeds “Rocket” Could Be Raphinha 2.0Leeds United must ensure Wilfried Gnonto does not leave this summer, with clubs like Juventus interested in a transfer.
- Chelsea Could Sign Own Haaland With £97m "Animal"Chelsea are interested in signing Juventus striker Dusan Vlahovic this summer and the Serbian could be Graham Potter's own version of Erling Haaland.
- Liverpool Could Forget Bellingham With £44m-rated "World-beater"The Dutch machine would be a monster at LFC
- Cody Gakpo withdraws from Netherlands squad with viral infectionCody Gakpo withdraws from Netherlands squad with viral infection.
- Why Moises Caicedo did not join Arsenal or Chelsea in JanuaryBrighton's CEO Paul Barber explains why the club stopped Moises Caicedo from joining Arsenal or Chelsea in the January transfer window.
- Leah Williamson rates England's chances of winning 2023 Women's World CupLeah Williamson expresses 'confidence' within the England squad ahead of 2023 Women's World Cup.