Chelsea are being linked with a number of top-class managers as patience begins to wear thin with Graham Potter and one argument for appointing Zinedine Zidane would be the hope that he could get Mason Mount back to his best at Stamford Bridge.
Could Zidane replace Potter at Stamford Bridge?
According to recent reports from Spain, Todd Boehly could look to bring the legendary Frenchman to west London as a potential replacement for Potter, who has struggled to replicate the style of play that saw him become so highly rated at Brighton.
The former Real Madrid boss has been out of work since June 2021 but Chelsea are said to be willing to offer him around €15m per season to take the reins at Stamford Bridge.
Zizou has just one job on his managerial CV but he would do an incredible job with Los Blancos, leading them to a remarkable three Champions League titles and two La Liga titles during his time at the Santiago Bernabeu.
Potter, meanwhile, boasts just one trophy in his managerial career thus far, which came in the Swedish Cup with Ostersunds FK back in 2017, so if Boehly wants to make the Blues a force in Europe once again, there is only one winner when comparing the Englishman’s experience with that of Zidane.
Could Zidane reignite struggling Chelsea star Mason Mount?
After notching an impressive 11 goals and ten assists in the Premier League last season, it was expected that Mount would play a big part for Chelsea once again this season.
However, he has just three goals and two assists in the Premier League so far this campaign, which suggests that Potter currently doesn’t know how to get the best out of the academy graduate, who is also seemingly suffering due to the plethora of attacking talent which arrived at Stamford Bridge in the January window.
Under Zidane, Mount would be working under one of the best-attacking midfielders to ever play the game, as is evidenced by Zidane’s statistics in his final season before retirement, as he hit nine goals and 11 assists in the 2005/06 La Liga season.
There seems little doubt when you consider Zidane’s stature in the game – a Ballon d’Or and World Cup winner – that he could help take Mount’s game to the next level and help him rediscover his best form after his disappointing regression so far this term.
Attacking midfielders such as Isco and James Rodriguez have both excelled under Zidane, registering a combined 89 goals and assists between them in 252 outings, while he also coached one of the Premier League’s best in Martin Odegaard, so he clearly knows how to get the best out of a traditional ‘number 10’ such as Mount.
Working under the iconic Frenchman has been described as a “luxury” by Atletico Madrid star Marcos Llorente and considering that Mount’s talent is currently going to waste, Boehly should surely consider bringing Zidane to Stamford Bridge as Potter’s replacement.
- Man United's £13m-rated "Monster" Could Replace CasemiroOn-loan midfielder Marcel Sabitzer could ease Casemiro blow
- Tottenham Players Excited By "Brilliant" ManagerTottenham players "would love" the club to appoint Mauricio Pochettino to replace Antonio Conte.
- Tottenham Dealt Blow In Pursuit Of "Fantastic" CoachTottenham Hotspur have missed out on Thomas Tuchel, one of the managers on their shortlist.
- Canada comfortably shut out Curacao with a 2-0 victory in the CONCACAF Nations LeagueCanada glide past Curacao with a 2-0 victory in the CONCACAF Nations League
- Republic of Ireland 0-1 France: Player ratings as Pavard screamer beats IrishPlayer ratings from the Republic of Ireland's Euro 2024 qualifier against France on Monday night.
- The 10 stadiums in Germany hosting Euro 2024The lowdown on the ten stadiums in Germany that are hosting games at Euro 2024.