Chelsea may have made ambitious moves in the January transfer window but they are already planning their business for the summer with a new potential transfer target emerging.
What’s the latest on Chelsea’s Victor Osimhen interest?
According to talkSPORT‘s transfer expert Alex Crook, Chelsea are looking to hijack Manchester United‘s move for Napoli striker Victor Osimhen.
As per the report, it is claimed that Todd Boehly’s aggressive approach to transfers could be a huge threat to the Red Devils, who are also interested in acquiring Osimhen’s services to bolster their forward line next season.
The ruthless American hasn’t been afraid of battling rival Premier League owners for big-money signings since he arrived at Stamford Bridge, most notably snagging Mykhaylo Mudryk and Joao Felix from Arsenal’s grasp in January.
Is Osimhen is better than Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang?
There is no doubt that Chelsea are desperate for a prolific and consistent number nine after struggling to find the right player to take on the role – despite spending £97.5m on Romelu Lukaku in 2021 and snapping up Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang last summer.
The west Londoners are currently ninth in the Premier League after a run of poor performances in their first 22 outings with the fewest amount of goals scored (23) in the top 11 teams in the top flight, proving that their lack of goal conversion is a huge contributor to holding them back in their pursuit for a spot inside the top four.
As a result, the signing of Osimhen would be an incredible piece of business for Chelsea and could be the final piece of the jigsaw in Boehly’s huge overhaul at Stamford Bridge.
Over 17 Serie A appearances, the 24-year-old – hailed “phenomenal” by Cagliari coach Walter Mazzarri – has scored a whopping 16 goals, registered three assists and created two big chances, as well as averaging 1.1 key passes, 4.1 shots on goal, 1.6 shots on target and 3.9 duels won per game.
Osimhen also ranks in the top 10% of his positional peers across the top five European leagues for non-penalty goals, shots in total and touches, as well as currently being the top goal-scorer and highest-ranking player for shots on target in the entire Serie A, proving that he is one of the hottest prospects in Europe and rightly dubbed a “machine” by journalist Nizaar Kinsella.
Graham Potter could land a huge Aubameyang upgrade with the signing of the Nigerian forward as he has outperformed the Frenchman in almost every attacking attribute, including goal contributions (19 v 1), shot-creating actions (37 v 7), progressive passes received (98 v 22) and shots on target per 90 minutes(1.80 v 1.02), as per FBref.
Not only that, Osimhen – who is expected to command a fee of more than €100m (£89m) – is nine years younger than the 33-year-old, so can provide the club with a long-term solution and future prospect who can help them compete for trophies and success for many years to come.
With that being said, if Chelsea can beat Man Utd to the signing of Osimhen it would be a major coup and could finally give the team a focal point in front of goal, one who can make a genuine impact to improve their goal-scoring form drastically.
- Man United's £13m-rated "Monster" Could Replace CasemiroOn-loan midfielder Marcel Sabitzer could ease Casemiro blow
- Tottenham Players Excited By "Brilliant" ManagerTottenham players "would love" the club to appoint Mauricio Pochettino to replace Antonio Conte.
- Tottenham Dealt Blow In Pursuit Of "Fantastic" CoachTottenham Hotspur have missed out on Thomas Tuchel, one of the managers on their shortlist.
- Canada comfortably shut out Curacao with a 2-0 victory in the CONCACAF Nations LeagueCanada glide past Curacao with a 2-0 victory in the CONCACAF Nations League
- Republic of Ireland 0-1 France: Player ratings as Pavard screamer beats IrishPlayer ratings from the Republic of Ireland's Euro 2024 qualifier against France on Monday night.
- The 10 stadiums in Germany hosting Euro 2024The lowdown on the ten stadiums in Germany that are hosting games at Euro 2024.