An update has emerged on Glasgow Rangers and their plan to improve their goalkeeping department at Ibrox in the summer transfer window…
What’s the latest on Angus Gunn to Rangers?
According to Football Insider, the Light Blues are ‘well placed’ to secure a deal to sign shot-stopper Angus Gunn from Norwich City at the end of the campaign.
The report claims that the son of former Scotland international Bryan Gunn has admirers within the Gers camp because of his performances in the Championship this season.
Ross Wilson, who signed him for Premier League side Southampton from Manchester City earlier in his career, is now eyeing a swoop for the colossus to bolster Michael Beale‘s squad.
What is Jon McLaughlin’s future at Ibrox?
Bringing Gunn in from the Canaries could open the door for Beale to ditch experienced goalkeeper Jon McLaughlin from the club ahead of the 2023/24 campaign.
His current contract is due to expire in the summer of 2024 but the upcoming transfer window could be the right time for the Light Blues to revamp their goalkeeping options after a difficult season, so far, for the current first choices in that position.
Journalist Mark McDougall recently claimed that the veteran, alongside Allan McGregor, is “struggling badly” and the Scotsman has been unable to claim the no.1 jersey on a regular basis.
McLaughlin has started ten of the club’s 25 Premiership matches this term and saved 58% of the shots against him, while also making two errors directly leading to a goal and failing to complete a single successful run-out – as per Sofascore.
Gunn, meanwhile, has saved 73% of the efforts on his goal in his 15 Championship outings for Norwich. He has made one error leading to a goal and has completed 11 successful run-outs.
These statistics indicate that the Englishman, 27, would be a major upgrade on the former Sunderland man in various areas, including likeliness to make a mistake, shot-stopping, and his sweeping ability.
The £5m titan, who was hailed as being “full of potential” and even claiming that he has “legs like Kate Moss” by his ex-boss Daniel Farke, has averaged a Sofascore rating of 6.90 in the English second tier, whereas McGregor (6.77) and McLaughlin (6.69) have struggled for form in the Scottish top-flight.
Therefore, Gunn could come in as an improvement on both of Beale’s current senior goalkeeping options and his arrival could allow the manager to finally ditch McLaughlin, 35, by selling him on, whilst his 41-year-old teammate is out of contract and due to leave at the end of the campaign already.
- Spurs Make Contact Over 35 y/o Manager TargetAfter parting ways with Antonio Conte over the weekend, Tottenham Hotspur have made initial contact with Julian Nagelsmann's people.
- Insider Issues Worrying Behind-Scenes Everton ClaimEverton have been slapped with potentially having breached Financial Fair Play regulations which will prove catastrophic if the club are to go down.
- Liverpool Reignite Interest In £184k-p/w StarLiverpool have reignited their interest in Inter Milan midfielder Marcelo Brozovic.
- Scott McTominay reveals how he's added goals to his gameManchester United midfielder Scott McTominay promised to try to continue his goalscoring exploits with Scotland after nabbing a brace against Spain
- Kai Havertz opens up on 'pressure' of mega money move to ChelseaKai Havertz opens up on 'pressure' of mega money move to Chelsea.
- How much do National League players get paid?What is the average wage of players currently competing in the Vanarama National League, the fifth tier of English football?