ExWHUemployee has revealed that West Ham United hope to have Maxwel Cornet back soon after a long injury absence.
What’s the latest on Maxwel Cornet’s injury at West Ham?
The versatile Ivorian has been absent since October with a calf injury, after providing five assists in his first nine West Ham appearances.
Cornet joined in the summer from Burnley for around £17.5m, but injuries have halted what looked to be a promising start to life in London.
Speaking on The West Ham Way podcast, he revealed that he could be returning soon, in a major boost to David Moyes.
“As it stands, Maxwel Cornet was back in France with specialists still looking at his calf, his recovery was halted a bit by a virus this week but they hope to have him back in training soon,” he stated.
What could Cornet’s return mean for West Ham?
Cornet was an outstanding attacking outlet at Burnley, scoring nine times and providing two assists in 26 games last season, and his versatility means he can provide a goal threat from wing-back or upfront.
The Ivory Coast international will be a handy option for Moyes once he returns, and can help provide goals and creativity to a side which has struggled for both this season.
With Lucas Paqueta also potentially injured, having been withdrawn early on in West Ham’s draw against Chelsea, Cornet’s return could come at a crucial time in the relegation battle, as he could help replace the creativity they would lose if he is absent.
He ranks in the top 6% of forwards for tackles and interceptions as per FBref, highlighting his work rate in attacking areas, and could be a useful asset given that their other absences include forward Gianluca Scamacca. However, Ex recently provided an update that the striker is also set to return to training, so Moyes will the luxury of picking from Danny Ings, Antonio and the Italian in no time at all.
With a tough relegation battle ahead, Moyes will need every possible source of goals available to him as he aims to avoid the drop.
- Tottenham: "World Class" Manager In Pole Position For JobTottenham Hotspur manager target Mauricio Pochettino is in 'pole position' for the Spurs job alongside Julian Nagelsmann, according to reports.
- Liverpool Confident Of Securing Deal For £88m DefenderThe Reds are optimistic that they will be able to land Benfica defender Antonio Silva this summer.
- Leeds Eyeing £53m "Machine" As True Phillips HeirLeeds United are interested in signing Sporting Lisbon midfielder Manuel Ugarte and the Uruguay international could be a true heir to Kalvin Phillips.
- Chelsea 1-2 Lyon (4-3 on penalties)(Agg. 2-2): Player ratings as late penalty drama sends Blues throughPlayer ratings from the Women's Champions League quarter-final second leg between Chelsea & Lyon - 30 March 2023.
- Man Utd confident of agreeing new David de Gea contractDavid de Gea drops hint over preference for Man Utd future as contract talks continue.
- Wolfsburg 1-1 PSG (Agg. 2-1): Player ratings as She-Wolves reach UWCL last four againPlayer ratings from the UWCL quarter-final second leg between Wolfsburg and PSG.